Last updated on
Is it possible to never run out of things to say on a date?
I mean, to an extent. It is possible to never run out of things to say on a date but only if you have a pre-set idea of what topics you could bring up, what possible questions you can ask, etc. Hence why I’ve created this article.
Take these questions with a grain of salt; you don’t need to recite them like a laundry list but you can use them as a safety net to have in case you run into the… dreaded awkward silence.
No matter how spontaneous or spunky you are, whether it is nerves or you are having an off day, going out on a date can be a nervous experience.
If you are running out of things to say, you might have to “fake” natural conversations. Although it’s hard to imagine a world where you fake a conversation while you’re on a date simply to make a connection, it happens — and it usually means trouble later on, forging a fake foundation for the relationship to grow on.
Instead of being on that date and not trying to not “run out of things to say”, we’re here to help you have a list of questions “in your back pocket” so to speak.
Here is our list of questions you can ask. 25 of them will be “safe questions” and 25 will be your bank of interesting questions when you really want to get to know the person.
50 questions you can use to never run out of things to say on a date:
Safe Questions for a date
- What is your favorite music?
- If you could go on a trip right now, where would you go?
- What’s your passion?
- What’s your dream job?
- How do you spend your day?
- Do you have any pets?
- What do you do for work?
- What is the one thing that you want to accomplish in your life?
- Do you cook?
- What’s your favorite food of all time?
- Are you into sports— if so, what kind?
- What do you like to do on the weekends?
- Are you a morning person or a night owl?
- What is your favorite movie of all time?
- What’s your biggest fear?
- What’s your family like?
- Who are your best friends?
- When’s your birthday?
- What is something that you are terrible at?
- When you were little, what did you want to be?
- What is a nickname that you have or have had?
- Do you have a hidden talent?
- Do you like to workout?
- Where did you go to school?
- What’s your favorite thing to do to stay active?
- What is your favorite memory from your childhood?
- What is the best gift you have ever gotten?
- Who has been one of the most influential people in your life?
- What is on your bucket list?
- Do you believe in aliens?
- Have you ever been out of the country? Where?
- What’s something that surprises people about you?
- Are you a fan of any professional sports teams?
- If you could choose any animal to become, what would you choose?
- Are you a salty or a sweet food craver?
- What is your biggest pet peeve?
- What is the worst job you ever had?
- What is the best job you ever had?
- Are you a cat or a dog person?
- What is your greatest strength?
- What’s the last book you just read?
- How did you meet your best friend?
- What was your favorite subject in school?
- If you could live anywhere, where would you live?
- If you could speak any other language, what would it be?
- Can you speak another language?
- What is something that you are financially saving up for?
- If you had to cook me dinner, what’s your go-to dish?
- What is in your fridge at this exact moment?
- Is there something you wish you could change about yourself?
We hope that with these questions, you won’t have any problem trying to get the conversation going and keep it moving, regardless of what’s going on around you. The key is, that right before the date, take a couple minutes and read through them.
Related articles I think might interest you:
- Learn the signs that tell you if a girl likes you.
- Learn the signs that tell you if a guy likes you.
- 301 small talk questions you can ask a friend.
Pick out a few that could really interest you or figure out what your response would be and pick out the questions where you have some impressive answers to them. That way, when you ask her or him the question and listen(!) to their answer, when it gets directed back at you, you’ll have an adequate answer already set up. Hopefully, that answer will be something that will impress them (honestly).
Now you’re ready for your first date. If you are having trouble remembering, you can always screenshot these questions, taking a quick look at the opportune moment. If you really have trouble or feel self-conscious, go ahead and come out with it.
At the end of the day, they are also on a first date, so if you really want to be open and honest, if the conversation is running dry, you can impress them with being prepared.